WHO WE ARE
Invest in the KZN South Coast, a region offering huge potential for growth in sectors such as tourism, real estate, agribusiness, manufacturing, logistics, ocean economy, and mining. The affordable land, subtropical climate, and quality of life make the KZN South Coast one of South Africa’s most attractive investment destinations. By engaging with local and international role players, South Coast Tourism & Investment Enterprise (SCTIE) seeks to assist investors looking to uncover hidden gems across various economic sectors. The establishment of the One-Stop Shop, in partnership with Trade and Investment KwaZulu-Natal (TIKZN), assists in creating an investor-friendly destination while reducing government red tape. With the launch of the #buylocal campaign, SCTIE is promoting support for local businesses to create a self-sustainable and resilient economy.
KZN South Coast – An Investment Destination
The KZN South Coast is a region of unlimited potential and opportunities, from tourism and agriculture through to film and real estate investments.
From the coast through to the hinterland, the KZN South Coast has a wealth of untapped investment potential waiting for investors who are looking to branch out into the district and uncover opportunities. These are found along a number of key sectors which can be easily accessed from national economic hubs. Potential can be found in:
- The natural attributes, year-round warm weather, great schools and facilities make this prime real estate with potential for in-demand housing estates and coastal resorts, among other property development opportunities.
- Exceptional soil quality and the subtropical climate make the area ripe for agricultural investments.
- There are extensive manufacturing opportunities with the maritime sector poised for development.
- As the area expands, the retail sector provides the perfect space for investment with locally manufactured products and goods on offer.
- With the Indian Ocean, Blue Flag Beaches and world-renowned dive sites, the KZN South Coast is the ideal place to unlock the ocean economy in terms of tourism, sustainable fisheries, renewable energy production, and maritime transport.
KZN South Coast – A Tourism Destination
The Paradise of the Zulu Kingdom boasts incredible diversity in its tourism offerings, with hinterland excursions, outdoor adventures, cultural tours and ‘Bleisure’ tourism as major attractions. The wealth of natural resources, provides unique and authentic experiences that make this a prime tourism destination. Among these are:
- The highest number of Blue Flag beaches in KZN.
- Two world-renowned dive sites at Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks.
- Two iconic gorges – Oribi Gorge and Umtamvuna Gorge – and The Wild Swing, the highest swing of its kind.
- 11 quality golf courses.
- Red Desert – the smallest desert on Earth.
- KwaXolo Caves featuring centuries-old rock art.
- The annual ‘Sardine Run’, known as ‘The Greatest Shoal on Earth’.
- Agri-TOURISM and Great Drives Out adventures.
- Alongside the natural resources, the region’s accessibility, established infrastructure, meetings/conference venues and eateries, make this a key film, events and business destination.
The role of SCTIE
SCTIE achieves its mandate of promoting and growing tourism along the KZN South Coast in a number of ways. These include:
- Destination marketing to attract tourism to the area.
- Product development, to create unique and authentic tourism products that promote local community involvement and increase the geographical spread of tourism.
- Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMMEs) and business support to ensure world-class services and establish tourism businesses.
- Improve competitiveness by ensuring local tourism industry standards are adhered to.
- Information infrastructure that ensures the availability of tourism information platforms.
In order to support and attract investment to the KZN South Coast, SCTIE focuses on:
- Highlighting the benefits of locations around the Ugu District and identify suitable commercial enterprises.
- Collating updated market intelligence, including economic and sector-investment profiles, business opportunities and trade conditions in the district;
- Facilitating meetings with potential public and private funders, banks and equity firms to unlock finance opportunities.
- Identify factors that could restrain investment, while working with decision-makers to break down barriers to operating in the district.
The KZN South Coast is an accessible, year-round leisure destination that accommodates families, adventure travellers, business travellers and keen investors. SCTIE will leverage this to achieve its goal in positioning the South Coast, as KZN’s leading regional tourism and investment destination!